I thought I’d check what Facebook groups exist about vlogging, because I think Facebook groups are good ways to connect and interact with people who are learning about the same thing. Rural Web’s ways prescribe however not to create something new unless it doesn’t exist yet. This also holds for online communities – if a community already exist, then join it; don’t create your own unless you have to.
So it turns out there are quite a few facebook groups about vlogging already. The trick is to find the interesting ones. I found the following handful which look promising. Others are specialised groups, i.e. for travel vloggers or beauty vloggers. I’m not interested in those, so I won’t mention them here, but once you’re a member of one group you’ll get suggestions for similar groups.
So how to choose which group to join? I made a shortlist of groups and added some of their characteristics for comparison. I don’t want to get flooded by enormous numbers of posts, so I added the number of members and posts per day, as well as whether the groups are open or closed. I will make my decision based on this information. From my experience, good facebook groups need to be moderated. A smaller community will have better quality conversations. And if a group is public, then all my friends will get notified about everything I post or like – in this case I would like to have some privacy thank you ver much.
My shortlist of interesting Facebook groups:
- New youtuber support group – related to http://vloglikepro.com/ – 10k members, 60 posts per day, closed
- YouTube Vloggers – Starter Group – 4k members, 11 posts per day, public
- YouTube, Vloggers & Bloggers – 1k members, 78 posts per day, closed
- Youtube Vloggers – 16k members, 39 posts per day, closed
- THE YOUTUBERS VLOG – 750 members, 6 posts per day, public
- Vloggers Youtube Nederland – 400 members, 50 posts per day, closed
- Vloggers (videobloggers) Nederland – 100 members 1 post per day, public
- Several closed groups by the Vlog Academy – B2B closed groups – payed!
I joined one English and one Dutch group – the first ones of each category. I’ll keep you posted with how interesting they are.
Did you join a facebook group when you started vlogging? What does it yield you?